Downtown Projects

To continue TFURA’s downtown renovation initiative, it has purchased Old Town property and demolished deteriorated buildings, improved streets and streetscape, installed street lighting and landscaping, installed new decorative signs, new benches, provided parking, assisted with façade/building improvement, and repaired infrastructure such as old, deteriorated water lines. That led to owners and agencies investing millions of dollars to upgrade their properties. Examples include retailers improving their space and facades, Magic Valley Bank’s headquarters downtown, a VA Clinic, and more.

TFURA utilized funds from the former Business Improvement District to provide grants to downtown property owners for façade improvements. Even façade renovations that cost under $10,000 really made a big impact, especially along Main Avenue.

In June 2015, Fisher Technology opened their new office at 242 2nd Avenue South. The URA formerly owned the 6,250 SF deteriorating red brick warehouse that was built in 1928. Fisher’s invested approximately $500,000 and transformed it into an attractive new office building saving the historical structure from demolition. The renovation included keeping the original window panes and a garage door.

The Dennis Bowyer Park on 4th Ave South was completed in May 2014. This pocket park provides green space in the Fourth Avenue South area. The park is located across from Glanbia Foods.

Beginning in 2014 and ending in 2017, the URA’s Main Avenue Area Redesign Project will revitalize a five-block area along downtown Main Avenue between Fairfield and Jerome Streets. This project will help to accommodate the needs of current and future businesses and enhance the historic district for future development. The project consists of replacing and upgrading deteriorating infrastructure, including underground utility lines, streets and sidewalks, and landscaping.

In September 2014, the URA purchased the 1908 Rogerson building located downtown at 147 Main Avenue East. The building was nearly empty, only housing three tenants (who have since relocated), and needed to be upgraded to current building codes that was estimated in the millions. The site was recommended to become the new downtown commons/fountain plaza in connection with the Main Avenue Area Redesign Project.

In 2012, TFURA inked a development agreement with Glanbia Foods USA and Uptown Developers LLC to support a new 50,000 sf corporate headquarters and R&D Center for Glanbia in the Old Town section of Downtown.  Glanbia and Uptown invested $15 million in the half-block project on a key corner of Old Town, just off Shoshone St. TFURA helped by providing a site, public infrastructure, and public parking.

In 2009, TFURA approved a vacant site to be developed into a parking lot to support St. Luke’s employees to be housed at 3rd Ave. S. and Hansen St. TFURA worked with the City on a competitive block grant and the City was awarded $498,000 in CDBG funds to develop a parking lot, landscaping, lighting, sidewalks, alley paving, and new water line. The photo below of St. Luke’s is 1000 percent improvement over both the old warehouse’s dilapidated looks as well as the economic impact of an additional 110 employees downtown.

St. Lukes